Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Black Eye Friday


Everyone knows that the day after Thanksgiving is notorious for being... a little more than hectic for those who wish to participate in the festivities of bargain hunting. Whether you ate turkey at 5pm and have been napping ever since, or you had to deal with your crazy family and didn't finish eating till midnight, there's a good chance you'll be standing outside the mall at 4am waiting for the doors to open.
In hopes of changing things up a bit his year, I spent my Black Friday swimming with sea turtles, far away from home. Some might say that nothing is worth missing the amazing deals you find only on that one day of the year, but I'd have to disagree. I have to say that I'd rather be followed by a 5 foot barracuda for thirty minutes again, than be kicked and shoved into an isle by a 4 foot tall, 80 year old woman, with her eyes set on that last box of moth balls that are marked down 60%.
Major corporations, from clothing to electronics, film commercials, post ads in papers and
hang up poster ads all in hopes of getting the most people in their stores on the biggest shopping
day of the year. Some commercials, such as the one below, exaggerate (hopefully) what people act
do in preparation for this big day.


So what's the big deal? Is it really worth it to leave your family on Thanksgiving to stand in front of a shopping mall in the freezing cold to spend 50 dollars less on an Xbox? That's obviously a personal preference, but I'd like to point out that saving 50 dollars on anything isn't something to sneeze at in these hard economic times. Would I trample an employee opening store doors? No. Would I stay up all night standing outside a store to be the first in line? No. Would I shove a small child through a clothing rack, attempting to take MY 50% off shoes? Well.. maybe.
Some people's reasoning is that it's a tradition, and if it's not a tradition, some like to be caught up in the moment, viewing it as a social gathering. Whether it's tradition, a night of shopping, a time to get your family's Christmas list over and done with, or your own unique way of relieving stress by running old ladies over with your shopping cart, there's something here for everyone. Although I must say I can't be upset that I spent my Black Friday in the Caribbean, I am a little... curious as to what my Black Friday experience would have been like if I were home. Maybe next year I'll actually wait outside Westfield Mall at 12pm to get a fresh pair of Nike's for half price, but who knows, maybe I wont.
Tradition? Fun? Stress relief? A night out? I want to know what your reason is, if any, to participate, or not to participate every year on Black Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment