Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Lost in Translation

Sometimes I find myself wanting to be that "annoying" friend, you know, the one that corrects everyone's grammar. To know the difference between "you're" and "your" is actually not difficult. I happen to be very good at English and grammar, but as I can see on Facebook, not everyone is... or are they? I have to be honest, it does make me slightly uneasy seeing awful spelling on Facebook and SMS messages. I'm not a teacher, so I can't see if any one of my friends are actually good writers, or if it's just shorthand used specifically for digital communication. With that being said, I don't feel that it's my place to correct people because I'm simply not qualified to, so I don't.



I found an article on this, published just about two years ago (which is a long time when it comes to mass communication) but I do feel it's still relevant. It can be found here.



I kind of wish I was an English teacher at times, just to see if today's students can actually distinguish between what they text and what they write structurally for school. You'll see in the article that it's actually a bunch of short paragraphs written by different people. Some of them say that texting will ruin grammar skills in young individuals, some say it will not and others say it has already. Someone named Evan Sawyer said that the more people text, the more their grammar skills will deteriorate. Supposedly this is true because more and more teachers are seeing digital shorthand like "lol" and "u" spill over onto school assignments. Do students really know the difference, or is it just laziness?

No comments:

Post a Comment