Thursday, November 18, 2010

Man Down, Let's Tweet!

A person faints as they’re walking directly in front of you: what do you do?

Do you stop what you’re doing and rush over to help them? Or do you stand idle only to take out your cell phone and tweet the present incident? That’s right, I said tweet. And that is exactly what students at the University of Southern California did when Bill Nye was approaching the podium to give a presentation.

Our favorite childhood scientist and TV personality, Bill Nye, (as I sing “Bill Nye the Science Guy” in my head) collapsed and fainted mid-sentence as he was walking up to the podium. Hundreds of students saw him go down but not one of them rushed over to his aid. Instead, they “pulled out their mobile devices to post information about Nye's loss of consciousness. …… Really? Really?! An entire sea of people with phones out, TWEETING...never mind calling oh, say I don't know...911?! If I was an audience member, the last thing on my mind would be a virtual update; I literally would have gotten off my bum and ran over to him. It’s kind of despicable otherwise.

People like these students are allowing technology to run their lives and that’s not okay! Instead of living in the present moment of reality, they live in a virtual world where basically something has not happened or does not have proper credibility unless it is written about somewhere on the internet.

I personally see no point in twitter, unless it’s being utilized as a promotion tool (i.e. Lady Gaga). Just like the Facebook status, I simply do not care what people are doing every minute of their day. I have my own things to worry about and I don’t need to be reading about someone’s bad day because they got a bad hair cut or they have to sit next to some stinky person on the train, so please stop cluttering up my news feed.

It really is sad and disappointing that nobody helped Mr. Nye. How a twitter update is more important that a real person’s life, is just beyond me.

No comments:

Post a Comment