Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Duckhunt a precursor?

My first post highlighted positive things that could come out of video games such as education, but since there's almost always a negative side to all things media, I figured that it wouldn't be too difficult to analyze the negative side of video games as a contrast.

I'm almost positive that some, if not all of us have heard something about this in the news within the past couple years. Violent video games causing aggression in young adults that regularly play them. I will admit that I did play games such as Grand Theft Auto in my day, maybe I'm not the only one, but I don't think I played enough to become aggressive because that's exactly what I'm not. I'm not a violent or aggressive person in the least bit, but I may not be the best example. I found an article from USA Today that was published back in March that reviews this idea. Maybe aggressive behavior is the result of violent video games, I'm not really the person to make that decision. What I do believe is that outside factors are definitely the result of aggressive behavior in young adults. These outside factors could include an abnormal house life, like Bender claims to have in Breakfast Club, hanging out with the wrong crowd, witnessing violence firsthand on a regular basis, or living in an area of general economic decline. This I believe because I've learned about it in a Intro to Psychology course, but violent video games is a gray area as the article suggests. The study that is analyzed in the article is claimed to be irrelevant because of inconsistent results. Additionally, violent video games in most cases is not the only contributing factor to aggressive behavior. A combination of risk factors will usually produce a more violent being. I found it interesting how the article says while video games may or may not being the biggest factor compared to other media violence, it's the easier risk factor for parents to control. I hope that parents never have to hold their kids back from doing something like this:

(it's a brief Dave Chappelle skit highlighting the "humor" side of this controversy)

No comments:

Post a Comment