Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Why is Social Networking So Addicting?





How many of you sit at your computer for hours without even realizing it? I know I do. You look at the time wondering where it all went and realizing that you wasted most of it basically doing nothing. You were probably on Facebook, Twitter, or even MySpace (Yes, some people still use their MySpace...I still use mine for music). I don’t get it...why do we spend all of our time on social networking sites? We should be out having fun, hanging out with our friends, and even doing homework.





These sites are pretty addicting and also cause us to procrastinate. For example, during senior year, in high school there was a research paper that all of the students had to do in order to graduate. My friend decided to push off her research paper. One thing that never changed is the fact that she was always on Facebook. She would waste her time on this website instead of working on her research paper. A couple of other friends and I tried to help her and give her some advice for the paper, but she still didn’t work on it and kept putting it off. This eventually led her to do the only thing that became her last hope, she had to delete her Facebook account. It was the only way she could get the paper done. Deleting her account was actually successful. She handed in the paper...it was a few weeks late, but she still handed it in. Of course, after all of this she eventually made a new account. I think that these social networking sites help us escape from all of the work that we have as students.


We figure that we will just check our newsfeed for a minute and then we end up being online for a few hours. Then we realize that we forgot about the tons of work we had to do this week. I can’t log off Facebook or Twitter until a few minutes before I leave my house or my dorm. I just check my newsfeed, post statuses, and comment. That’s it! Yet, I spend most of my day on these sites. Not only can we access these sites from our computers, but also from our cell phones. I think that we should start a revolution where we only use social networking sites for only a few hours a day. It would make our lives easier. I think that if we keep this up, there will be rehab and addiction groups...if there aren’t any already. It will be just as bad as being an alcoholic or a drug addict. So let’s try to change the world, it’s basically up to us. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t use your everyday social networking sites; I’m just suggesting that you use them slightly less. It's something that I am trying to work on too. You should enjoy life and be able to live freely. I know it’s not easy, but let’s all start together!

No comments:

Post a Comment