Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Jersey Trend


I would assume it's safe to say that every person who has a television, or has a set of ears, has heard of the show Jersey Shore. The only reason I've come to know the names of everyone on Jersey Shore is because when the show starts, I lose all "remote privileges" because my girlfriend can't get enough of it.
I had no idea that one reality television show could impact everyone around me as much as it does. I feel like I can't go anywhere without seeing someone who wants to look like a gorilla, hearing quotes from the show, or fist pumping. The Haunted House I went to last weekend was haunt-less for me due to everyone in the Haunted Corn Maze yelling " TEE SHIRT TIME!!" to each other. Personally, after the first commercial break, I'm already bustin' out the earplugs (not really).
So what is it about this show that has everyone so hooked? Maybe it's so popular because girls like to be able to scream "PARTIES HEREEE" every time they walk into a party; or maybe guys like the show because you get to look at girls in short dresses dancing at clubs for an hour straight. Whatever the case; people go hard trying to impersonate, dress like, and live like the stars if the show. People even make videos about the characters on the show.. such as this one.
Who would have thought that a bunch of "guido's" from the Tri-State area would have an appearance at an event like the VMA's.
I do have to admit, that after watching a couple episodes, I actually began to care about what was happening in the show. One of the bright sides of the show being so popular is that, if I miss an episode, all I have to do is go on Facebook and scroll through pages and pages and pages and pages of posts all dealing with Jersey Shore.
These people have gone from being average people, to being superstars, in a matter of months. The show took off and gained popularity so fast, it was shocking. Is this show a fad that will die out such as Pokemon, Razor Scooters, or Sabrina the Teenage Witch? I suppose that only next season's ratings can answer that question.

No comments:

Post a Comment